Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Melancholia (film) - Review

So I just finished watching the film Melancholia and for some strange reason, I had a sudden urge to blog about what I thought. :)

Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland, and Alexander Skarsgard


Summary: A jumbo planet that has been hiding behind the sun, called Melancholia, is expected to 'fly by' the earth without collision. However, there is a lingering fear by some that it will in fact impact Earth. The protagonist, Justine, suffers from depression. She does her best to put on a brave face for her wedding day, but we see early on how her illness puts a strain on her relationship with her husband, sister, and brother-in-law.


Review: Firstly, wow, what a treat for the eyes. Visually spectacular - beautiful setting, amazing art direction, great clothes, and not a bad looking cast. I liked how this film was not your average end-of-the-world-type movie.


What I thought was most interesting about this movie was the difference between the two sisters. The director emphasizes this by splitting the film into 2 parts - Part I: Justine and Part II: Claire.


As mentioned earlier, the protagonist, Justine, suffers from depression. In Part I: Justine, we get a glimpse into how her illness has affected her daily life: constant fatigue, her struggle to bathe on her own, and a lack of enjoyment from food. She relies heavily on her sister to support her in all these areas. However, in Part II: Claire, we now see a depressed Justine become the stronger character - remaining eerily calm for her sister and nephew, even in the face of their impending doom from Melancholia.


Side note: Was it just me or did the movie's use of music remind you of 2001: A Space Odyssey? Meh, just wondering.


The only thing that bothered me a little bit about this movie were the scenes in slow-motion. I mean, they were really really slow, it kind of drove me a little insane. But otherwise, a really beautiful film!

No comments:

Post a Comment